- Growing Award
- ZWS VCAP Waste Less, Repair and Share
- Reducing Your Waste
- About RoWAN
Volunteer With RoWAN
Do you want to enjoy making the future a better more secure place for your family and community?
We can help you develop social media, event organisation and face to face communication skills so we can work successfully on some of the activities below:
If you’re keen on composting, recycling, waste-free cooking, growing your own fruit and vegetables or cutting waste in general, then this volunteering opportunity could be for you.
Become a Zero Waste Volunteer
Want to help people cut waste? RoWAN is looking for volunteers to help us promote waste reduction in the Highlands, as part of the national Zero Waste Volunteer Programme. We will provide training, support and cover your expenses if you can spare even only a couple of hours a month. Call us on 07795314645 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
What does it involve?
Depending on what suits you; you could work on your own, with the Zero Waste Volunteer Project Coordinator or with other volunteers, to do some or any or all of the following:
- talking to your neighbours or colleagues to encourage them to, for example, start composting or to help them improve their recycling;
- running/helping at a stall at an event such as a School Fair, Farmers’ Market, or at a work place;
- distributing posters and leaflets in public places in your community or workplace;
- giving a talk to a local group or for example running small groujp workshops own growing own fruit and vegetables
- writing an article for your local community newsletter;
- letting us know about events or venues in your community where we can encourage people to cut waste.
- sharing our social media posts
- producing a video
- helping with our website
- Sharing an Upcycling skill.
- Take part in the Love Food Hate Waste campaigns to reduce food waste through cooking skills and storage hacks.
- Mend and extend the life of prdoucts through Love Your Clothes Campaign or one of our focused workshops like Ebay selling or Computer maintenance.
No special skills needed, just the enthusiasm to help people take action.
What’s the benefit for me?
- help your community and the environment,
- find out more about waste issues,
- meet others with similar interests or concerns
- learn skills that might help you in future jobs
- have fun
- earn a Saltire Award through our partner Signpost
- Young Scot members can earn REWARD points for activities.
We are also updating our A-Z - what you can do with unwanted items - so please email us with any information or leave comments about these - especially if your comments relate to local/Highland solutions.
Want to add/update your contact details for our e/mailing list: contact us.
RoWAN Board is also looking for new volunteer members
RoWAN is also looking for new volunteer members for RoWAN Board to support our staff and projects and to guide the future of the organisation. RoWAN is a waste awareness charity based in Highland whose aim is to help people cut their waste. The charity was formed 10 years ago and has carried out a range of successful projects with communities and schools. It is currently funded to run a Zero Waste Volunteer Programme by Zero Waste Scotland, and to run a schools and communities project by the Climate Challenge Fund.
RoWAN is managed by a Management Committee of Directors and other members which meets once a month on a Tuesday evening, usually in Dingwall or surrounds. More Committee members are sought, particularly people with a strong interest in waste reduction and in addition experience of project management, people management, finance, community work or waste management. Travel expenses are paid but there is no other renumeration.
For information about the roles and responsibilities of Directors and members of the RoWAN Board click here.
It is envisaged that new members would initially join as co-opted members of the Board. Appointment as Directors may be possible at a later date.
For a discussion about what is involved in being a member of the Board, do contact us.
If you would like to show your support by becoming a member of RoWAN, you can download and complete our Membership Form. All members get our newsletter which will keep you up-to-date with both RoWAN's project work and general news on waste issues. Members have the right to attend AGM and EGMs, can elect people to serve as directors and can take decisions about changes to the articles. Members can be any person over 16/corporate body/nominated by unincorporated body who/which supports the aims & activities of RoWAN. Members must sign and return the completed membership form along with a remittance of £3 (or £2 concession for pensioners,unemployed, those in receipt of incapicity benefit, lone parents.) Payable by 1st June each year.
|Rowan project announcement.pdf||222.38 KB|